Friday, July 8, 2011

Okay So Here's How This Dreams Postcard Business Is Going To Work

It has taken a year of research and designing and writing and procrastination but this weekend I am fiiiiinally ready to start leaving the first of the Toronto Dreams Project postcards around the city.

Here's the deal: the Dreams Project is a series of 99 fictional dreams written about figures from the history of our city. Each one is printed on the back of a postcard and left somewhere in Toronto that has something to do with that person or their dream. At the moment, the first nine are ready to go, including dreams for John Graves Simcoe, Ernest Hemingway and Mary Pickford.

You'll be able to track them all on a new website I've launched right over here: www.torontodreamsproject.com. There, you'll find all of the cards that have been finished so far, along with Google maps of where each one has been left and links to more information about the history behind them. The maps will also include a little bit about where exactly the postcard has been left and a photo of the spot, too.

Each time I leave a postcard somewhere, I'll also send out a tweet through my Twitter account. It will include the photo and the location. You can follow me on Twitter here: @TODreamsProject. I'll be posting updates to Facebook as well (though not, I think, for every card). You can "like" the Dreams Project on Facebook here.

I will be trying to leave some of the postcards in places where random people can easily stumble upon them, but others in places that would be hard to find if you didn't know they were there. Sooo if you're looking for a postcard, you'll want to keep in mind that some will have a better chance of still being there than others.

If you'd like to read the dreams but are totally lazy and useless or afraid to go outside or whatever, I'm going to be sharing the text of some of the postcards online at www.torontodreamsproject.com. There will only be a few at any given time, though; I'll rotate through them as I go. The dreams for Simcoe, Hemingway and Giovanni Fusillo are up there right now.

Annnd that's it, I think. Good luck to anyone who heads out dream hunting! If you've got any questions, feel free to hit me up in the comments below or at adam@littleredumbrella.com.

2 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to leave this comment for freaking ever. Or at least since you announced you were going to start leaving postcards around.

    Have you considered doing a Kickstarter or Peerbacker project to fund the printing of postcards? It'd be a great way to get the word and to defray costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, that's interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete