Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Simcoe's Weird & Complicated Relationship With Slavery — A Tweetstorm

August 1 was both Simcoe Day and Emancipation Day in the City of Toronto. One is meant to remember the British soldier who founded our city; the other marks the day slavery was abolished across the entire British Empire. It's an interesting overlap: Simcoe was responsible for abolishing slavery in Toronto; he passed the first law to end the practice ever passed anywhere in the Empire. But his relationship to slavery wasn't anywhere near as clear-cut and simple as that might make it sound. And so, to mark this year's Simcoe and Emancipation Days, I thought I'd do some tweeting.

You'll find the Twitter essay embedded below. And if you can't see it for any reason, you can read it all on Storify here.

11 comments:

  1. I am very thankfull to you for sharing this fantastic article, Useful to us

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are terrific. I like this remarkable things, Keep it up and keep on writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi very nice blog! I'll bookmark this website. Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookmarked this website, This site contains valuable information

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for giving such useful information that is often difficult to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good article, I enjoyed reading your post

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing this beautiful blog

    ReplyDelete

  9. I’ve been looking everywhere for this!

    ReplyDelete